Michaela Armstrong
June 27, 2013
AP English
Prompt #2
Aristotle
First, I will give you my reaction to Aristotle's views on women.Next, I will give my opinion on which of the
thinkers are admirable about gender.
Lastly, I will give my reason to the fact that the majority of the
authorities were mainly men. I will conclude this paper with my thoughts regarding the paragraphs above.
My reaction to Aristotle's views on women is upsetting. I did not like how he thought women were
incomplete and referring to women as the "soil", being weaker physically, mentally, and allowing the men to
dominate. Aristotle even thought men had more knowledge than women. He thought women were only good
for giving birth to children and doing chores, not capable of being successful. However, he did think women should be educated, but not receive the same type of education that men received.
In my opinion, I felt Plato had admirable answers on questions about gender.
He believed women could govern, and have the same powers of women, knowing the time he lived in. He stated that "a state that does not educate women is like a man who only trains his right arm".
My fact is, were there any women who were philosophers? Alberto Know, a character in the book, informed Sophie the life of the church in the Middle Ages was heavily dominated by men.
The Middle Ages is the period between the two other epochs. There were two known women thinkers during this time. Hildegard of Binger and Simone de Beauvoir. Hildegard was a nun, as well as a preacher, author, doctor, botanist, and naturalist. Simone de Beauvoir was Sartre's love interest.
Aristotle's views on women were absurd. Plato's admirable answers on gender was astounding. The fact that there weren't many women thinkers back in the Middle Ages is a little depressing.
Overall this is what philosophy was all about.
No comments:
Post a Comment